E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How the e46 was made

Tags
factory
31K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  omegaSMP300 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Posted for the nth time, and for the nth time, I'd love to have someone translate that into english. Someone on this site has got to know german!

#6 ·
Awesome offer! I'll check it out and post a time stamp if there is something in particular.

#8 ·
For me the most important part in this movie has been the dipping of the chassis into the KTL anti corrosion bath.
I live in a country that for month has temperatures around the freezing point. This means cars here, gets easy rust
on body and parts that are not good protected.
Previously I had Ford and they made so bad anti corrosion protection, that I decided to switch to BMW.

I also like to see how they install good parts into the BMW's that is very rare to see in Denmark. The price for a car
in Denmark is 3 x the price in most other countries. This means, most cars here has almost NOTHING installed. The
radio is still a casett play without CD, climate control is manual, there are no leather seats, no xenon light, manual
gear shift, back seat can't be lowered, and so I could go on. I guess the guys at BMW are laughing their a.... out
when they install the BMW's for the danish market. Those cars are really ripped for everything of value.

But great movie, I just missing to see how they manufacture the engines. Could be interesting to see. From the movie
I could hear the engines are manufactured in many different countries. The V6 comes from Austria.

#9 ·
V6 engines?? u mean to say the i6 engines?? as far as i know, BMW never produced V6 engines. it went from i6 to V8.

its not only in Denmark. Even in Mauritius we have few luxuries. though we have CD players, leather seats and xenon lights, we rarely have heated seats for 3-series. or maybe its bcoz we live in a tropical island.. i'm not sure. but its like our 3-series are never equipped of an i-Drive system and most of our bimmers come from South Africa.

#14 ·
Would love to see it. Let us know when you post it.

#16 ·
Good question. Wouldn't want to violate copy-right laws, but if they hand it out for free, I can't imagine it would be an issue, especially with something so old. I would guess you could put a password on it so it's not totally for public viewing, only those members of e46f.c (or other forums) you make aware would know the password. Or, you could just send me a copy. :)

#31 ·
I have read that the Turner kit is solid. However that avenue will more than likely require you to foot the bill for the service and installation. I can only speak for my own experience which was actually very smooth once contacting BMWNA.

I first forwarded a letter explaining my situation, as I had been noticing the strange "popping" sounds coming from the rear exterior of the vehicle when reversing or when driving up or down inclines/driveways. That was followed by progressively unstable driving characteristics, the machine started to feel as if it weren't making solid contact with the road at mid to high speeds (mostly highway), almost like the back end was stepping out & sliding slightly.

I did TONS of research on this over the web and in many of the forums, which led me to first writing in to BMWNA, then following up with a call. I was contacted by a couple of reps that were more than helpful in getting everything arranged. I set up an appointment with the local stealership, and my machine was inspected and diagnosed with the broken subframe. They forwarded the details to BMWNA, who then shipped the new reinforcement to the collision center of my choice.

After about a month, got my machine back and that was pretty much it. There are a bunch of people who have experienced this and many still talking about it on this forum and others. Not everyone has had a positive experience, but I can't speak to the details involved in those situations.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just search for "subframe" on this site or any other owner sites and you'll find more than enough info. Yes this issue is a crappy blot for the brand, but it is fixable. And doesn't really speak to the overall build quality of these machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.