E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Calling all high mileage xi owners (what has broken?)

74K views 227 replies 154 participants last post by  Bhewgs 
#1 ·
I have a xi about to hit 50k...I'm wondering who has put a lot of miles on their xi and what has gone out on it...(related to a mod or not...)

I know my cooling system was replaced by the dealer before I bought it from the original owner @37k, and my front cv boot was leaking a bit...other than that, I have had zero problems. :pimpin:

How 'bout yall?

#97 · (Edited)
I got halfway through page 2 and was about to post shocking comments about other guy's 02s and thier low mileage when i realized someone revived an old old thread!

Guess i'll toss in my issues while i'm at it. 02 i bought at 80K now has around 125K 4 yrs later. Previous owner ignored goddam EVERYTHING on the car. Just yesterday i finished replacing the RTABS and now she's all done.

Outside of normal tune up/maint shite...
rear shocks
front struts
control arms
fcabs
sway links
rear shocks
rtabs
front ball joints
thermostat
drive belts (cause of thermo)
rear window regulator
valve cover gasket
passenger front cv axel

Oh and the comment about Xi's part pricing i agree with. It's total bs our parts cost so freaking much. Especially when theres more of them to replace!

edit: shoot forgot about both rear springs and radiator hoses done as PM as well from thermo

#98 ·
50000 km rear spring broke
60000 km Valve cover gasket
60000 km both front CCV boots ripped and needed replacement.
70000 km ball joint in front control arm ripped.
70000 km all shocks lost pressure and needed replacement to Koni Yellows pairs with new Eibach ProKits.

#99 · (Edited)
105k...nothing out of the ordinary except the ABS is messin with me now but that's about it

I got the car at 100k and the last owner said it was bullet proof AND the only things he did was REGULAR MAINTAINANCE and parts that WEAR OUT...so I won't mention any of that. He worked at a dealership as a salesmen..seemed like a straight shooter

I trust this car to drive to the moon..OR Texas maybe hehe

#100 ·
I have 102340 miles on my 2003 330Xi, usual routine services and mantainence items and: secondary air pump and valve at 38K, Brakes_ rotors and pads twice, tires ( currently 2nd set), water pump and belts, ATF changed twice ( @ 50k & 100k). No issues currently, runs great!!

#101 · (Edited)
Here's a tip on the Axle's/boots in the front. NO U-Turns ESPECIALLY on cold days. Turning the wheel completely puts a tremendous amount of stress on the boots. Before you know it you will get the noise/vibrations when on the accelerator. I found out the hard way, since I didn't have to worry about this with my RWD 323I. If you keep from turning your wheel/sterring wheel to the max you will not have to worry about replaces those axles/boots on the AWD XI.

I purchased my 2002 330xi November 2009 w/110,000 miles on the clock mint condition. Rough roads and winter in the northeast cost me a lot in BS repairs. The car now has about 144,00 miles on it.

List of repairs not including Inspection I + II things. Coolant reservoir/expansion tank replacement, 2 rear strut mounts, 2 rear struts, 2 rear springs, 2 Front Axles, 2 Front Lower Control arm bushing, Valve Cover Gasket set, Valve cover (actual cover was cracked), Fan Clutch, DISA Flap (aka Adjuster Unit), 4 Oxygen Sensors, 6 Bosch Plugs, Electronic thermostat, 6 new tires (I bought 4 and less than a week later a pothole blew out entire right side, 2 days prior to the blowout a nj state trooper slammed on the brakes and smoked his tires in front of me causing me to do the same on the new tires, which caused a small flat spot in the tires!!!)

Again the suspension work was do to the extremely harsh winter and roads of the NY/NJ area. After I get this 330xi fixed (was rear ended on a hit and run), at the end of the summer I'm going to do engine mounts, and tranny mounts. My driver side lock actuator is shot, but I have two remote FOB's so the hell with fixing that. All in all its a awesome good performing car.

#102 ·
Between 115k -130k
T-stat
Water pump failed at about 125k
Expansion tank failed at about 130k
Replaced 3 half shafts since 2007 and have another leak in driver's side outer cv boot, why?
Drivers side tie rod boot torn, need to address
One of my rear shocks are leaking, need to address
Front hubs need replaced
Sure there is more...

#104 · (Edited)
I'm at 105k had it since 99k since then i've lowered it and replaced both front axles and the passenger rear, oil level sensor, front driveshaft, flux capacitor, front left wheel bearing, t-stat, and final stage resistor. All normal higher mileage e46xi stuff.

On my last one I sold it with 140k, got it at 108k. In that time I did the front right axle and oil changes that's all. she was a trooper.

#107 ·
- both axle (reman napa)
- Bilstein shock (sport) rear (m3)
- eibach spring pro
- new stat
- new water pump
- new maf
- new. Rear shock mount
-NEED all bushings replaced including rear and front (need kit) looking at 1.300$ , need new tie rod
- thinking to do all CARBON FIBER IN THE INTERIOR pillars and roof)
-also the front Hood and rear CARBON FIBER & also top of the CAR...
- paid off, I have to problem investing all this on the car..
- will keep as my 1st BMW, future OLD SCHOOL...
- need front m-tech bumper

#108 · (Edited)
I just do annual maintenance on mine which consists of putting it in the air, seeing what needs to be replaced and what is on its way out. I typically replace everything so I can go another year with the car being the last thing on my mind.

Around 80k it got a new passenger side CV, DISA valve, water pump and expansion tank, spark plugs and fluids/filters
around 98k I put new brake pads on the rear, the rotors were just within spec for reuse.

Right now it has 116k on it and I did the following two months ago:
fluids and filters
replaced the thermostat and radiator hoses (hoses were preventative, thermostat had a small leak)
replaced the oil filter housing gasket
replaced the power steering return line (it was weeping at the bottom, probably could have just tightened the hose clamp but decided to replace the line and use crimp clamps instead)
replaced the PCV/oil separator assembly and all the hoses (preventative and it's easier to replace the hoses than reuse the old ones)
installed new accessory belts
installed a new transmission shift shaft seal (was barely weeping, was a good time to do when I was doing a fluid and filter on the trans)

A lot of the stuff I do on my car is preventative and I don't think most owners would even catch it until it becomes an actual problem.

The thing I love about these cars is they really don't seem to leave you stranded, stuff will break but you'll be able to get home. That has been my experience anyway.

I also have a set of Koni struts sitting in my garage I've been meaning to install, but the stock ones are doing fine :lol:

#111 · (Edited)
Bought my 2003 325xi used with 96k from an old couple. The car now has about 130k.

Items replaced:
STARTER
ALTERNATOR
BELTS
ROTORS & PADS
BATTERY
CABIN & AIR FILTER
SPARK PLUGS
TRUNK LID ASSEMBLY - DUE TO CORRODED PLATE LIGHT & CONNECTORS

Things to replace:
TRUNK LID ASSEMBLY - PLATE LIGHTS CORRODED AGAIN
TWO GASKETS CAUSING MINOR OIL LEAK
FRONT BALL JOINTS

This is my first BMW and I LOVE IT!! Only thing is that these cars are maintenance hogs & I'm starting to feel like I adopted a spoiled child instead of buying a car.

#113 ·
Between 38k miles and 88k miles:
LF control arm twice and bushings
Rear springs and shock mounts
Crankcase vent valve and hoses
Pressure, suction, and return power steering hoses
Both front axles replaced under bmw warranty, but both axles leaking again, need to take care of
Did water pump, tstat, and tank preventative when check engine came on for thermostat
Intake and exhaust cam sensors
Valve cover gaskets
Changed mech. tensioner to hydraulic tensioner and idler pulley due to horrible noise
All window regulators, drivers making noise again
Maintenance parts I consider normal:
Trans fluid/filter twice, front and rear diff oil change, transfer case oil change, coolant, brake flush twice, pads/rotors twice all around, air/cabin/oil filters every service reminder, tires at 40k
YES! BMWs require alot of maintaince/service to keep them driving like a BMW should

#115 ·
mines has 188k on it now
Iev changed
Disa valve,
Passenger side control arm
driver and rear passenger window regulator
gotta fix the Sunroof
Headliner and replaced all pillar fabrics
water pump
belts
tranny fluid
radiator and exploded clutch fan
radiator hoses
secondary vac hose
thermostat
brakes
in the process of doing both front axles
crank case valve and hoses (annoying)
gonna do all fluid changes in the front n rear dif
and your regular Tune up parts (oil/filters/plugs etc.)

#117 ·
'01 with 114k:
Thermostat
Alternator
Oil filter housing
Upper & lower throttle boots
Expansion tank
Bleeder screw (and hose it's attached to)
2 window regulators
Battery
Front LCA's, ball joints, & LCAB's (2x)
Both front axles (2x)
Oil level sensor
Valve cover gasket
Idler pulley
Tensioner
Both front shocks
Rear springs (1 broke almost in half)
Front and rear sway bar end links
LKM/LCM

I know there's more and as I list this, I get sad. My only consolation is that I'm my own mechanic.

#119 ·
Got mine 34k have 64 k

what has been replaced that broke:

-sunroof sliders
-washer fluid pumps headlights and winshield
-power steering rack
-transfer case rear seal
-therostat
-idler pulley
-tensioner pulley ( converted to hydraulic)
-drivers window regulator motor
-front cv axles ( used ac cardon remans- still have oems looking for place to rebuild them0
-transmission mount
-both engine mounts
- Valve cover gaskets

** wondering if I should do the cooling system refresh

#120 · (Edited)
2002 330xi original owner

I have to tell you after 190K yes 190K I am still going strong sure I've done most of everything on the forum but my engine, transmission plus the clutch are all perfect. My mechanic recently did my valve cover gasket and he could not believe the condition of the engine. He was so impressed he took a picture to send to BMW, he works on my car on the side otherwise he is a master tech for a BMW dealership. Yes the windows regulators suck as well as some of the cooling system components like the thermostat and the water pump and yes you need to keep an eye on your CV boots.

Lets get real if those are my only complaints after a 190K well I got all of my monies back and much more. One more point I average 24.5 MPG on my 330xi. Good luck to all of you keep up with your maintenance use common sense and you'll be fine, you are driving an amazing car.

Attachments

#121 ·
205k Miles and running GREAT!

I am at 205K on my 2002 325 xi. It is my work car and I put around 5k miles on it a month.
I have replaced: brakes, rotors, sensor wire, spark plugs, clutch, control arm bushings, RF control arm, RF, sway bar, front axles, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket, struts and tires.
I am very happy with the car, all parts and labor I spent under 3,500.00$
I do get a regular oil changes monthly.:woot:

#123 · (Edited)
Repairs on 2002 325Xi

I purchased the car 4/11. Knew that the engine had been replaced because previous owner bottomed out on a pothole and cracked oil pan and kept driving, cracked the engine block. It had 104,272 miles (71,000 on replacement engine).
Alignment $85, air conditioning recharge $133, front struts replace and install $400; replace parking cable left; $291;replace profile gaskets/rings $58 parts; $100 labor; replace both belts $40 belts; $30 labor, $55 replace right parking brake cable; $51 cable, $105 replace crank seal; $55 replace oil filter housing gasket; $166 replace engine thermostat; $231 replace guide support deflection pulley; replace torn CV boot left axle, $165 (replaced entire left axle); tires $694, another alignment $88, drain and change transmission fluid $89, (I supplied the fluid, 1-1/2 qt Pentosin MTF-2), install coolant expansion tank; $65 for the part, $118 labor, flush radiator $69 (it's in shop for that now). Bought the car for $7500. It's a blast to drive, but is it worth the expense? I don't have a car payment, so guess that's the trade off, you have more maintenance on an older car. Forgot to mention the rack and pinion boot is torn. The estimate for that was $1200 to replace entire R&P. Will buy a boot kit and replace torn boot. I supply the parts, get them online from various places or locally at auto supply shops when possible. I found an independent mechanic who doesn't mind me supplying parts. Otherwise, the amounts above would be more like 3 times the cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.