E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 M3 rough idle and throwing codes?

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  46smg 
#1 ·
I bought my m3 about 3 months ago. First month ran good no problems whats so ever. After that i decided to take the car on a cruise with some friends. The car felt really sluggish. I didn't think anything of it until i came to stop the car idled like crap. It sounded like it had a cam. Soon after i scanned the car came up with codes saying cam position over retarded and cam position actuator circuit malfunction. I cleared the codes and car ran fine for about a week. Then randomly Came up a week later. I cleared them again car ran fine for over a month and just lastnite the codes came up i got them down here they are P0012-camshaft position timing over retarded bank 1, P0010(pd)-cam position actuator circuit (bank 1) circuit malfunction, P0013(pd)-cam position timing over retarded (bank 1). I could clear them and the car would run fine but this problem is coming annoying and would like to fix whatever could be wrong.
was thinking about taking the car to the dealer. I just wanted to see if there are any things i could try before..... might be a easy fix i hop.
thanks any info would be appreciated.:hmm:

#3 ·
(03 SMG 82K miles) After a rough idle, loss of power and the Vanos fault code kept popping up these are the codes I found with my Peak Code Reader:

B8 = Intake camshaft position and control
CD = Misfire During Warm-Up Cyl #1
CE = Misfire During Warm-Up Cyl #2
CF = Misfire During Warm-Up Cyl #3
D0 = Misfire During Warm-Up Cyl #4
D1 = Misfire During Warm-Up Cyl #5
D2 = Misfire During Warm-Up Cyl #6
D5 = Misfire During Warm-up Multiple Cyl
48 = Intake camshaft VANOS retard valve 1

I took it to my Indy mechanic (DEC 2011) and this is what he found with his scanner:

P0012 intake vanos retard valve intake vanos function
P0301 misfire #1
P0302 misfire #2
P0303 misfire #3
P0304 misfire #4
P0305 misfire #5
P0306 misfire #6

Work Performed; removed and opened vanos control module and found "broken solder joints" on three (3) pins. Resoldered circuit board and resealed control module.

Replaced; Valve Cover Gasket, Part #11127832034 and Vanos Gasket, Part #11367831938

Car running great now...Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.