E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
Why do I keep ripping on p46 headlights? (Don't buy crappy crap) Retrofit to RX330!

Introduction
If you have seen any of the threads asking about which HID kit to buy or how to get projectors for cheap, I will probably have chimed in saying, "You're an idiot," or, "Die a terrible death," or something along those lines.

Why? Because most people and vendors recommend the Depo P46 headlights as the best alternative to the OEM projector headlights. While I agree that P46 headlights will do "just fine," that doesn't mean it's the best alternative, especially when the alternatives are things like Morimoto Mini H1 ($120) or Mini D2S ($110) projectors which *screw into your headlights* making mounting the projector as simple as changing a blown bulb.

Procedure
Recently, a fanatic asked me if I would like to help him make some room in his garage by taking a box of stuff out of it. I was excited to help. The box's contents: Depo P46 headlights, 9 CCFL rings (4 installed, 5 spares), and an H7 HID kit (5000K). Now I can finally put to rest all the hearsay about "P46 is just as good as OEM."

As soon as I got the headlights home, I cleaned them up and tore one of them apart. The other headlight is still mostly in-tact, with just the front lens being taken off for testing/cleaning purposes. The headlights are being torn apart so that I may test these without the excess bulk of the headlights.

I will be comparing the Depo P46 projector against itself (halogen vs. 5000K HID) and against a Lexus RX330 single xenon projector with a suuuuuper old Philips 85122 bulb and Denso ballast. I would test it against the e46 Bosch bixenon, but I don't want to take my headlights apart, again.

Results and Discussion
Test setup (top = RX330; bottom left = P46 5000K; bottom right = P46 halogen):

And now the output pictures. Top to bottom: RX330, P46 5000K HID, P46 halogen:

A little bit closer together

Now I know most of you will come in here screaming, "HAHAHA YOU'RE SUCH A FUGGIN NEWB THE P46 IS BETTARER!" but you'd be wrong. The P46 does a great job of throwing light directly in the middle, way below the cutoff. Translate this pattern onto the road and you will have a very bright foreground with barely any light going into the distance.

You might also be saying "THE P46 IS WIDERRRR" but is it really? The P46 projector, both halogen and HID setups, bow downwards near the edges. Sure, the light on the wall stretches further to the left, but again, translate it to on the road performance and you have sub-par lighting performance at the sides. Do you want to light up the mailbox or the grass?

The RX330 shows exactly what the OEMs want and what you need: smooth light output, brightest along the cutoff (not just at the step/middle) and dimming as it gets lower. This gives you the most light far in front of the vehicle so that you can, you know, see.

Conclusion
As an alternative to the OEM bixenon (or even the single xenon) projectors, the p46 just isn't up to snuff.

As an alternative to the OEM halogen reflector headlights, the p46 with halogen bulb will give you a more updated looking front end, but lighting performance will probably suffer. I can't imagine the OEM halogen headlights performing worse than these. If, however, you decide to "upgrade" from OEM halogen reflectors to the p46 with HID kit, you may put more strain on your eyes by concentrating too much on what's directly in front of your bumper instead of what's out 100+ feet away from the car.

Note: if the vendors want to chime in saying they "modify" their P46 projectors to not be as crappy, there's absolutely no way in hell that you are going to modify these headlights without actually replacing parts. And if you're going to go that far, you might as well just RETROFIT A BETTER PROJECTOR!
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Solatso

My Ride: 2001 330i
Nice write up and demonstration. My wife has a RX330 and while I'm still running halogens a friend of mine has the P46 on his 325 and I will absolutely agree that the P46 is a kids toy compared to what her RX330 has going on. With her car you can see sooooooooo far down the road it's crazy and street signs light up before you're even close enough to read them, I'm totally jealous
In all honesty my PIAA Xtreme White Plus setup has better lighting to the sides than his P46's. Light output "looks" nice and updated (he's running 6000k, or 5000k I forget now) but they don't look much brighter than my PIAA's they just have a different color. When it comes to actually illuminating things I personally think the PIAA's do a better a job although distance is about the same (wish I had pics, no one ever believes me). His light output isn't as uniformed and, as you showed, tends to be more about what's right in front of you and not so much about what's coming up soon.

Just a point of reference, we're talking about dark country roads with no street lamps. I was all set to get the P46's last year until I drove his car one night and realized the difference wasn't worth the price tag.

EDIT :
Also worth noting is that she's running stock Philips bulbs and I'm not sure what temp they're at but they look more white than the ones you showed here. She's one of those "why da eff does this person have their highbeams on" drivers when she goes past ya, one of the best setups I've ever seen. Even better than my friends '06 TL.

Last edited by Solatso; 03-19-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Solatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
infinite012

Yeah my Philips 85122 bulb is old as fawk. It's probably putting out somewhere closer to 1500 lumens instead of the brand new rated output of 3000 lumens.

Also noteworthy: the 5000K bulb actually looks more like 6000K. I can confirm this with my camera white balance setting (set to 4300K, the Philips bulb looks white; set to 6000K, the kit bulb looks white)
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Aaron90

My Ride: 328i
hell yes, finally an objective overview of the p46!!

anyway you could post output pics, one at a time? rather than all 3 on at the same time?

Last edited by Aaron90; 03-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Aaron90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I agree.

Btw, I love how all of that electrical stuff is on a carpet...
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
infinite012

Fire hazard? What? hahaha It's cool. I don't own a fire extinguisher.

I'll get 3 separate pictures up later tonight. I'm working on adding LEDs to the shroud
Old 03-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Great writeup. Glad I didn't buy p46's.

If I want to replace my stock reflectors with some halo's with Xenon or Bi-xenon what do I need to buy then?

I want to make sure I am describing my lights correctly. I have the h7 bulbs in both the running and main lights.
zander271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
infinite012

Retrofit or buy OEM projector headlights.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
infinite012

LEDs added to shroud:

Comparison (Left to right: 3000K CCFL, custom LED shroud, vendor's LED AE):

A little bit brighter:

I also took pictures of the projector outputs. To try to be as fair as possible, I had to "weight" the H7 halogen bulb so it wouldn't wiggle around in the projector (wtf? why is this even something we should worry about when purchasing headlights? bulbs wiggling loose...) giving the best possible hotspot and light output. The HID bulb fits very snug in the projector, but as I already pointed out in the OP, it creates a hotspot far below the cutoff. This is less than ideal. The RX330 projector, I have learned, can be modified slightly for an even brighter hotspot along the cutoff.

Halogen:

5000K HID (I still think this is 6000K):

RX330, Philips 85122 bulb:

Every picture I just posted was processed the same, using 4300K white balance, shutter speed 1/80, aperture f/5.0, ISO 200, 24mm on a Canon 5D with 24-70mm f/2.8L, on a tripod.

Still not convinced that the P46 isn't as good as OEM? Go suck a goat.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol yes they do suck. but you know why i suggest them. it's just a cheap alternative that's easy for noobs to install. i would say buying p46s are like the gateway to better OEM lighting in the future. it's like back in the days with angel eyes. everyone had them at one point and went from there. plus a lot of people care mainly about looks than the performance. it's great if you can the performance, but if it's too hard, people shy away.

there are very little people like us that would rather save up for quality items than cheap knockoffs.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
infinite012

My costs so far for the p46 headlights with HID kit (3x bulbs, 2x ballasts): $0
LEDs for shroud project: I had LEDs from my interior LED conversion.
2x RX330 projectors: 1 was a gift from a friend, the other was purchased off ebay for $45, but normally will cost anywhere from $80-$160 per pair.
2x Slim 35w ballasts: $25
2x D2S bulbs: $0, reusing my old/original D2S bulbs off of the car. A new pair of Philips 85122+ will cost $95 (or $50 if you get "slightly used" like I did).

So, if you're lucky and you happen to be an engineering student, you will also have amassed a good bit of extra stuff like wires, soldering supplies, and hand/power tools (most important one: Dremel). Otherwise, you will need to invest in this stuff.

My total cost for this project is $25 so far. I still have to either make/buy a harness and get some clear lenses for the RX330 projectors. If I had halogen headlights, this is the route I would go: wait for quality parts to show up cheap, get friendly with dealership service/shop workers, look at www.hidplanet.com for deals and knowledge.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
My costs so far for the p46 headlights with HID kit (3x bulbs, 2x ballasts): $0
LEDs for shroud project: I had LEDs from my interior LED conversion.
2x RX330 projectors: 1 was a gift from a friend, the other was purchased off ebay for $45, but normally will cost anywhere from $80-$160 per pair.
2x Slim 35w ballasts: $25
2x D2S bulbs: $0, reusing my old/original D2S bulbs off of the car. A new pair of Philips 85122+ will cost $95 (or $50 if you get "slightly used" like I did).

So, if you're lucky and you happen to be an engineering student, you will also have amassed a good bit of extra stuff like wires, soldering supplies, and hand/power tools (most important one: Dremel). Otherwise, you will need to invest in this stuff.

My total cost for this project is $25 so far. I still have to either make/buy a harness and get some clear lenses for the RX330 projectors. If I had halogen headlights, this is the route I would go: wait for quality parts to show up cheap, get friendly with dealership service/shop workers, look at www.hidplanet.com for deals and knowledge.
lol that doesn't count. most were given away etc. not like everyone on here gets that. and you don't need to be an engineering student to have those parts, i have a bunch too lol random parts i collected that seemed like it would be useful.

but yea the cost of the parts is low, but it's the actual retrofit that's the hard part. most people don't have the courage, skill or the time to do that. what you think is easy, isn't necessarily the same for others. i found this out over the years when i'm installing stuff for people. it's also the same reason why a lot of people don't DIY like brakes or something (which is easy as hell to do)

i totally agree, the dremel is the single most useful tool you can ever have.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
infinite012

Agreed on all counts. I didn't mean to sound like a pompous ass by implying only engineers would have these things laying around the house, but it's come to my attention that many of my classmates also have piles of tools and supplies spread across their rooms in their houses.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
sillieidiot

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. I didn't mean to sound like a pompous ass by implying only engineers would have these things laying around the house, but it's come to my attention that many of my classmates also have piles of tools and supplies spread across their rooms in their houses.
oh i wasn't saying you were an ass or anything. i think this is more for people who work with their hands. i find that all my friends who works on cars have the same stuff laying around even if they don't use it lol except they have more random car parts, and i have like headlights and electrical items.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
sillieidiot

btw, what soldering iron do you use? mines broke awhile ago and i haven't replaced it lol just wondering if there's anything better. i had a weller, don't remember the model.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
infinite012

I'm just using a cheapie thin/small corded soldering iron from Radio Shack. It was like $15 and came with like 9 different tips. Works alright. I wish I had the $$ for a better one lol
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Retrofit or buy OEM projector headlights.
Retrofit looks to be to much work...I'm more of a guerrilla delicate things I am not good at.

Are there any light kits that are all just one piece that don't require me to rewire?
zander271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
infinite012

Buy OEM projectors, then.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #19
Aaron90

My Ride: 328i
nice new shots, is that bit of light above the rx 330 cutoff what is known as squirrel eyes? used for lighting up road signs in the distance?
Aaron90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #20
infinite012

The best part of the p46 projector: clear lens. I harvested a clear lens from one of the p46 projectors and fit it to the RX330 projector along with a cardboard spacer. The p46 lens is slightly thinner/smaller and has a shorter focal length so the width is decreased on the RX projector, but the sharpness is increased significantly. I will likely not run these lenses on the final product.

Also, I was able to cut away most of the material on one of the p46 frames to get the RX projector to fit properly. I will figure out mounting, aim and rotation later.

Sharp and colorful. I don't know what that squiggle of glare is, but I won't be using these lenses in the final product:

Kind of put together:

I really like this "angel eye" that I made (stole this idea from another member):

And a quick animation of the cutoff color: