E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #41
RaihaX

My Ride: 08' 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz 330 View Post
+1

They are notorious for self gratifying readings ...

Raiha i dont think I can make Araluen, but thanks for the offer !

Ive done a bit more research, and I dont think i will ever get the rasp I am thinking of, it is specific to the shim operated individual throttle bodied S54, but I can see there are some nice sounding n54s out there!

My budget will prob be maxxed to $80k ( just cant justify spending more ) but realistically ill prob want to stay under $65k

The reason I was saying DCT is I loved the SMG, i love you it would crash through the gears and the thuds in s5/6 , the AT felt so soft I was hoping maybe the DCT has some of that firmness to it ?

I think either car I go with will end up with New Wheels and New Exhaust and possibly intake ...

If i get one in good cond i will prob leave the susp as is, but firm it up (strut and sway bars) and obviously the go fast bits on the 335 ...

I was definately not sold on the 335 having driven the stock one, but I know i wouldnt be buying it to keep it stock, where as the M could stay jsut the way it is and I would always have a smile on my face ...

Its almost like picking between a wife (3) and a mistress (M) ...
To me it sounds like you prefer the M3 and trying to justify the purchase of a 335i

It has been a while since I drove a SMG E46 M3 but I do have that "Thud" when my car goes through the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worx View Post
Just piss that wood trim off and get the BMW performance hand brake and gear knob. Also the performance steering wheel. That fixes them a lot! I fitted a M3 idrive knob to mine also.

Mine had Warranty on it, just depend on how much you care I guess.
Definitely the BMW Performance alcantara trim are awesome

I also retrofitted the M5 SMG knob onto my car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M5 Knob Retrofit 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	451397   Click image for larger version

Name:	M5 Knob Retrofit 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	451398  

Last edited by RaihaX; 05-13-2012 at 06:22 AM.
RaihaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #42
Oz 330

My Ride: 2004 DYII M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
To me it sounds like you prefer the M3 and trying to justify the purchase of a 335i

It has been a while since I drove a SMG E46 M3 but I do have that "Thud" when my car goes through the gear.
Oh, I definatley prefer the M, and I am absolutely trying to justify the 335i, mainly because there is so many more to chose from, they are in much better condition and they will be a smarter bet in the long run.

Is yours a DCT or Auto ?

Didnt know an Auto could change like that unless modified ...
Oz 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #43
RaihaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz 330 View Post
Oh, I definatley prefer the M, and I am absolutely trying to justify the 335i, mainly because there is so many more to chose from, they are in much better condition and they will be a smarter bet in the long run.

Is yours a DCT or Auto ?

Didnt know an Auto could change like that unless modified ...
Yeah one of the main reason why i bought my car the more sensible buy.

Mine is an auto.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #44
Turbo BMW

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I don't know 320 RWKW feels pretty good! and a lot quicker.
Just curious, what mods were required to take the 335i to 320rwkw? and is there a dyno sheet or video of the dyno?

Last edited by Turbo BMW; 05-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Turbo BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #45
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
I'm not trying to say Worx is wrong because the vast majority of people I know have shared his sentiments, but I have had nothing but a fantastic experience with aftermarket dealer warranties. I have had over $4000 of work done on my 330i just under statutory warranty and it wasn't a hassle at all. Also had a dodgy dealer warranty on a Mitsubishi 380 and the warranty was paid for over about six months of Bitsaremissing repairs

I think if you're considering the 335i you won't be happy with the M3. I think it's a car that you need to want exclusively because its so much more than go, stop and turn. Personally I would M3 it because of the raspy NA engine and E46 chassis. Not a fan of the E93 at all. HOWEVER, I honestly think in the grand scheme of things an E93 is probably a better car... especially with a bit of gear on it.
Mind you, I would suspect in a couple of years an E93 may become a maintenance pig...
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #46
RaihaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo BMW View Post
Just curious, what mods were required to take the 335i to 320rwkw? and is there a dyno sheet or video of the dyno?
Pretty much Full Bolt on + Meth.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
Oz 330

My Ride: 2004 DYII M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
I'm not trying to say Worx is wrong because the vast majority of people I know have shared his sentiments, but I have had nothing but a fantastic experience with aftermarket dealer warranties. I have had over $4000 of work done on my 330i just under statutory warranty and it wasn't a hassle at all. Also had a dodgy dealer warranty on a Mitsubishi 380 and the warranty was paid for over about six months of Bitsaremissing repairs

I think if you're considering the 335i you won't be happy with the M3. I think it's a car that you need to want exclusively because its so much more than go, stop and turn. Personally I would M3 it because of the raspy NA engine and E46 chassis. Not a fan of the E93 at all. HOWEVER, I honestly think in the grand scheme of things an E93 is probably a better car... especially with a bit of gear on it.
Mind you, I would suspect in a couple of years an E93 may become a maintenance pig...
In General WORX is spot on the money, the usual aftermarket warranty costs the dealer about $149 for 3 years and is essentially not worth the paper its written on, not that it wont cover a small amount of repair, but more because it specifies where the repair is done, hence controlling the cost (ie inflating so the recoup) and also stipulates 6 monthly servicing, hence it is basically snake oil.

The Allianz warranty is very different. It costs at the very least about $1850 (this is cost price and near impossible to get) for 3 years and normally retails around the $3k mark. Dealers don't chuck it in for free like the other warranties and it was originally introduced for Land Rovers ( LR RR RRS ) and if you read the feedback on the oz land rover forums you will hear alot of good feedback. They have pretty stringent requirements on what cars are covered and what the condition and mileage needs to be, but once your covered, its basically a factory warranty with all its requirements as per the factory requirements.

It is essentially an insurance policy, not so much an aftermarket warranty.

Have to admit, 320rwkw would be alot of fun under foot again ...
Oz 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #48
Worx
Euro tuner

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have any dyno sheets at hand, but if you Google it you can find lots of 335's with over or on 300 @ the wheels, but you have to run a meth setup and 16.5 PSI.

Also all the other normal bolt on bits

Look up RB turbos for 335, they look fun

Here is a video

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post

I have had two major claims rejected. It can happen. Not saying they never pay out, guess they would get shut down if they did that.

Quote:
Pretty much Full Bolt on + Meth.

353 Albert Street Brunswick 3056
Victoria, Australia.

Tel: 9387-4440
Web: www.worxauto.com.au
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/WorxAutomotive
Worx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #49
Turbo BMW

Thanks for the info Worx and RaihaX. What does a full bolt on entail? a larger turbo?
Turbo BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #50
RaihaX

Quote:
Thanks for the info Worx and RaihaX. What does a full bolt on entail? a larger turbo?
pretty much my mod list (downpipes, intercooler, intake, tune)

upgraded turbos should give you 350~

Justin @ Advan Performance car is FBO + meth + upgraded twins and he dynoed at 349.9 rwkw

Last edited by RaihaX; 05-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #51
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
As Rai has mentioned, FBO mods are the ones that are just that... simple bolt on/off mods.

Upgraded turbo(s) usually comes after you get bored of the FBO phase lol... but 300rwkw out of 3-5k worth of mods is pretty enticing and provides for a lot of entertainment without upgrading turbos.

Last edited by BMW E465; 05-14-2012 at 12:13 AM.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #52
fcychan

My Ride: BMW E46 M3 Vert
SOLVING YOUR DILEMA: Get the e93 335d M hardtop convertible. However, I would still advise you to stick with the e46 m3 naturally aspirated engine over the 335's turbos... I noticed quite an annoying few seconds of constantly waiting for the turbos to kick in. HPFP on 335's were a pain the ass & BMW hasn't done a good job of fixing it either... my buddy's M5 has been planted waiting for a fix on the HPFP system. Also, weight issue on the hardtop 335... once the hardtop comes down... a lot more of the weight has been distributed unevenly to the back end of the car.

IMHO, I enjoy the raspiness of my M3 using CAI... the 335i OE mufflers didn't make much sound at all (and paying $4K for a quality sound & at most ~32hp is the worst waste of $$$ ever. If you spend the money and get a quality Supercharger on the e46 M3... no 335 M or no M can match it...

Please excuse if someone has already mentioned these in the previous posts.
fcychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #53
Worx
Euro tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcychan View Post
IMHO, I enjoy the raspiness of my M3 using CAI... the 335i OE mufflers didn't make much sound at all (and paying $4K for a quality sound & at most ~32hp .

Bullshit. unplug the flap and put down pipes on. That is all you need for it to make noise. or just unplug the flap.

353 Albert Street Brunswick 3056
Victoria, Australia.

Tel: 9387-4440
Web: www.worxauto.com.au
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/WorxAutomotive
Worx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #54
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
I've driven both and I honestly preffered the e46 in every way. The sound, the drive (suspension and feeling), the interior quality, the aesthetics and the overall feeling.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #55
RaihaX

Quote:
Bullshit. unplug the flap and put down pipes on. That is all you need for it to make noise. or just unplug the flap.
The man has never heard a fully catless no resonator n54

that thing is RASPY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcychan View Post
SOLVING YOUR DILEMA: Get the e93 335d M hardtop convertible. However, I would still advise you to stick with the e46 m3 naturally aspirated engine over the 335's turbos... I noticed quite an annoying few seconds of constantly waiting for the turbos to kick in. HPFP on 335's were a pain the ass & BMW hasn't done a good job of fixing it either... my buddy's M5 has been planted waiting for a fix on the HPFP system. Also, weight issue on the hardtop 335... once the hardtop comes down... a lot more of the weight has been distributed unevenly to the back end of the car.

IMHO, I enjoy the raspiness of my M3 using CAI... the 335i OE mufflers didn't make much sound at all (and paying $4K for a quality sound & at most ~32hp is the worst waste of $$$ ever. If you spend the money and get a quality Supercharger on the e46 M3... no 335 M or no M can match it...

Please excuse if someone has already mentioned these in the previous posts.
no problem with HPFP at all now days...

put a single turbo on the 335i and no supercharged e46 m3 can catch it... ?

Last edited by RaihaX; 10-15-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #56
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
Ray, you gotta take me for a drive in your beast! there s a BCI cruise coming up on 28th Oct...later arvo/night cruise!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #57
rossim3

My Ride: myki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
Ray, you gotta take me for a drive in your beast! there s a BCI cruise coming up on 28th Oct...later arvo/night cruise!
Calling an automatic 135 a beast!?

Didnt realise it was Auto Rai.....

Last edited by rossim3; 10-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.
rossim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #58
rossim3

Quote:

put a single turbo on the 335i and no supercharged e46 m3 can catch it... ?
Just pray the road doesnt have any corners lol.

A stock 335 is the worst car if you ever have to turn a corner fast. It floats, body rolls, understeers and with no LSD makes it a terrible cornering experience. Its def nice to cruise and drag S15's and put M3 parts on to pretend but thats about it...

Last edited by rossim3; 10-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
rossim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #59
RaihaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
hahah i will see if i can make it to the cruise - is at 4 PM right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossim3 View Post
Calling an automatic 135 a beast!?

Didnt realise it was Auto Rai.....
is my daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossim3 View Post
Just pray the road doesnt have any corners lol.

A stock 335 is the worst car if you ever have to turn a corner fast. It floats, body rolls, understeers and with no LSD makes it a terrible cornering experience. Its def nice to cruise and drag S15's and put M3 parts on to pretend but thats about it...
with every right corner there will be a left corner somewhere so if you keep going straight you will get back on the road!

ps. have you seen the new evolve blower for the S65 looks freaking sweet really want a S65 now !

Last edited by RaihaX; 10-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #60
rossim3

Quote:
with every right corner there will be a left corner somewhere so if you keep going straight you will get back on the road!
very good point Rai! The only time you should ever need to turn the steering wheel in your 335 is when doing max doughies oustide Lidcombe station.